Individual Tax Preparation Checklist

For most, the deadline to file and pay your 2023 taxes is April 30, 2024. If you or your partner were self-employed in 2023, you both have until June 17, 2024 to file your tax returns, but any tax payable is due April 30, 2024. To complete your tax return on time, I will need to receive your information by April 16, 2024. Please provide all of your information at the same time. I will not begin to prepare your personal tax return(s) unless I have all of the necessary information.
If you have children
  • Names and birthdates of all of your dependent children
  • All childcare expenses
  • All tuition and education receipts for your dependent children
  • Child support
  • Adoption expenses
  • Your previous year’s tax assessment from Canada Revenue Agency
  • If you’re a new client, a copy of your previous year’s tax return
  • Copies of any foreign tax returns filed
  • Correct current address and phone number
  • All of your T4, T4A, T4P, T4A(OAS),T4(RCA),T4RIF, T4E, T4RSP, T3, T5, T5013 slips
  • T4A slips reporting COVID-19 relief payments or repayments
  • Total tips and gratuities received during the year
  • All RRSP official receipts
  • First Home Savings Account contribution receipts
  • All charitable donation receipts
  • All political contribution receipts
  • All medical expenses receipts including medical insurance premiums paid for a private plan
  • Home renovation expenses for alterations made to improve accessibility for an individual who is eligible to claim the Disability Tax Credit or is over 65 years of age or to allow a relative to live with the individual
  • All receipts for digital subscriptions to qualified Canadian journalism organizations
  • Disability Tax Credit Certificate
  • All receipts for any instalment payments made for personal income tax
  • All stock trading transactions for the year (T5008)
  • Details of any bitcoin or other cryptocurrency transactions
  • Realized gain/loss report of capital gains or losses
  • Foreign investment summary from your investment broker
  • Any capital gains or losses information and disposal date, if applicable
  • Details relating to the disposition of your principal residence if you sold it during the year
  • All tuition and education receipts for you, your partner and any dependents
  • Student loan interest
  • T2200 – Declaration of Conditions of Employment signed by your employer(s)
  • A list of eligible employment expenses
  • If you are a teacher or early childhood educator, receipts for teaching supplies purchased during the year
  • Tool expenses (tradespersons)
  • Social Assistance revenue (T5007)
  • Union dues
  • Foreign pension income
  • Interest and/or dividends
  • Total interest paid on investment loans
  • Fees paid for investment counselling or management
  • If you purchased your first home in 2023, please provide the address of the property and the date of acquisition
  • Home Buyers Plan withdrawal or repayment
  • Lifelong Learning Plan withdrawal or repayment
  • Rental income and expenses
  • Self-employment income and expenses (including COVID-19 business benefits)
  • Moving expenses if you moved more than 40 km to start a new job or educational program
  • Temporary relocation expenses incurred by tradespeople and apprentices to work on location in Canada
  • Any other worldwide income
If you have children
  • Names and birthdates of all of your dependent children
  • All childcare expenses
  • All tuition and education receipts for your dependent children
  • Child support
  • Adoption expenses
In addition, please supply answers to the following questions

Did you own or hold foreign assets (cash, stocks, trusts, partnerships, real estate, tangible and intangible property, contingent interests, convertible property, etc.) costing more than $100,000 CAD at any time during the tax year?

Do you authorize Canada Revenue Agency to provide your name, address, and date of birth to Elections Canada to update your information on the National Register of Electors?

What is your current marital status?  Please be aware that Canada Revenue Agency requires that all couples that have lived together in conjugal relationship for more than twelve months file their tax returns as spouses. If your marital status changed during the year, please let me know.

If I am not filing a personal tax return on behalf of your partner, I still require the following information in order to file your tax return: the name of your partner, social insurance number, date of birth, and the amount shown on line 236 of their current tax return.

Questions? Please get in touch.

Let’s talk!